Monday, October 20, 2008

Children, the greatest comfort

Losing a friend is never easy, but after my friend Jamie passed away last week, I found the greatest comfort in my children.

Through all of my sadness and heartache, my son Deven and my daughter Cheilin still managed to make me smile.

Deven is only 8 years old, but his understanding of the situation made me proud. I told him what had happened and that I needed him to be supportive and to help me out a bit.

He was sympathetic and never complained when Iwas busy and could not be home because I was meeting with friends or when we could not go get the ice cream I promised or when he had to wait to go costume shopping.

“It’s OK mommy,” he would say. And I hate to admit it, but he said those words more times than he should have this past week.

And his silly personality still managed to make me smile or laugh during moments when I did not think it was possible.

He gave me hugs and kisses when I needed them, and knew when it was not appropriate to be silly. He listened while I talked about Jamie and was caring.

The only other time he remembers seeing me cry was when our dog Rocky was put to sleep last month.

Deven really made me proud. He is already developing into a great man.

And Cheilin did not have to do anything to cheer me up. Regardless of how I felt, all she had to do was walk by me and smile and she would warm my heart.

I still cannot believe sometimes just how much joy a small little baby can bring. Times like these are when I truly need to hug my children and hold them close.

There was so much comfort in my heart when I picked up Cheilin and held her. The smell of her hair and the way she felt just brought me a huge amount of solace.

I was amazed by how much I clung to my children during this time. Deven and Cheilin truly have been my greatest comfort.

No words can really describe all of the emotions I have been going through, but on that note, no words can really describe how my children make me feel either.

The love, joy, comfort, frustration, fear and stress I feel for and from my children all compile into the amazing feeling of motherhood.

They have been my rock throughout everything. My children and my husband Steve have consoled me more than I could have ever asked. The thing is, I did not have to ask.

I guess the greatest cure for sadness and grief is love. It has been for me.

No comments: