Thursday, October 23, 2008

I am so disgusted

Made in China. Those are three words I never thought I would fear. Growing up in the Asian community, I have shopped at the Asian supermarket countless times and purchased many food items from around the world.

Well, who would have thought that candy I have bought, ate and fed to my son would contain poison? Not me!

First, it was the White Rabbit candies I grew up eating. I loved those. But I have never fed those to my son Deven who is a bit picky. I haven't eaten the White Rabbit candy in years, so I was not too concerned when I learned that those were recalled for containing Melamine. Ugh.

But then, another one popped up. Koala cookies. What? Those are my Deven's favorite and I don't even know how many times I have bought those for him.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081017/health/health_us_cda_cookie_recall

It is just so disturbing and disgusting to know that people would purposely put Melamine in these products (the milk) that indirectly contaminated so many other products.

It is heartbreaking how many children in China have become ill or died because of this. It is just so wrong on so many levels.

Even if no one became ill from eating this cookies, it's just scary to think about how easily dangerous chemicals can find a way into the foods we eat.

Well, this is my rant for the day. I am just so angry over this. We hear about baby formula being contaminated accross the globe, but never realize how something like that can trickle all the way over to our little safe bubble here at home.

2 comments:

Brandon Darnell said...

Hey Linda, I like your blog. With all the stuff coming out from China these days that's contaminated/poisoned/leaded, it makes me wonder what we were all exposed to as kids.

Anonymous said...

It certainly is scary. I'm sure there are way more contaminents out there than we'll ever hear about. It's nice of you to try and do your part to help spread the word.

I'm quite upset to hear about the white rabbit candy. I used to love that stuff...and the rice paper liner thingy.