Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Packing for babies

(From the Oct. 1 issue of the Citizen)

Taking family trips has always been something that my husband Steve and I love doing, even if it is just a quick getaway for the weekend.

My son Deven is 8 years old, so in addition to our things, we would only have to pack him some clothes, shoes and toothbrush.

But now traveling is not quite the same. We have our daughter Cheilin who just turned 1. We are still amazed at how someone so little requires so much stuff.

Even if we just go to visit friends or family for a weekend, there is special food to pack, milk, clothes, diapers, wipes and so much more.

On top of that, she has a Pack-N-Play playpen that we also have to take with us everywhere we go so that she has somewhere she could sleep.

We cannot let Cheilin sleep on a bed because we know she would roll off, and I just do not want to risk it.

Even if she does not roll off, I worry that she could fall if she tries to climb down after waking up in case Steve or I are not there to carry her. I suppose you can call me paranoid, but it beats taking her to the emergency room for a concussion.

While the playpen is relatively easy to pack, it takes up a lot of space and I could not imagine what it would be like trying to lug it through an airport.

Speaking of airports, we have had that experience once.

We took a trip to Disneyland when Cheilin was 2 months old, and all of her stuff was more than Steve, Deven and mine combined.

And passing through security with a baby and her stroller is no easy feat either. I just felt sorry for whoever was behind us in the line. I even had to take off her shoes.

We had to collapse the stroller and put it through the X-ray machine, but it was too big, so we had to pull it out after it got stuck. Then they just searched through it. It was a long and tedious process, but we made it to our flight on time.

Babies require a great deal of items wherever you go, even if it is just something simple, like going to the mall.

Cheilin’s diaper bag is already stuffed with her basic necessities, then we always have to have a blanket for her, the stroller and a small ice bag to keep her milk and food cold. It takes me 15 minutes just to pack up her stuff so we could go shopping.

As a parent, you really have to be prepared to give up your trunk, because it will become loaded with stuff for your kids. Actually, scratch that. You have to be prepared to give up your entire car.

Between the car seat, toys and books all over the car, it leaves little room for much else.

It has been so long since Deven was a baby, that it still shocks me every time we go out and I see just how much stuff Cheilin needs.

I think I am getting used to it now though. But mainly, I am sure Steve has gotten used to me packing half of the nursery.

No comments: